Thursday 27 November 2014

Folk Art meets the Modern World

Looking into past traditions is the best way to predict future trends. Nordic traditions have been recorded by Charles Freger in his work 'Wilder Mann". This includes dressing up to represent the cattle of the land, using traditional furs and coloured fabrics. 






Although these are old traditional pieces. This sort of work can be seen in more recent pieces. Such as music videos. The most relevant music video to this subject I can find is 'Jack' by Breach. Although this is a club dance track their are many similarities between the work that could suggest some influence from one piece to another. 

















                 
 
             
                   'Jack' By Breach.





As I found these pieces so interesting I looked into the practitioners involved further and found that the costume stylist was a woman called Hannah Glossop. Who has been involved in multiple music videos for famous artists such as Lily Allen, Britney Spears and The Hoosiers. I find the pieces so interesting as they have inversed the areas in which body hair would usually be found on a person. This challenges the perceptions of how dancers should look for a music video. 

The thing that makes this discovery even more exciting to me is the fact that the woman in charge of the costume design for all these videos and television shows gained her qualifications from one of the universities I am applying to. This gives me hope that one day I can make it to where I want to be in the world of TV and Theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment